Spelling Games and Activities
Do You Know a Fun Spelling Game?
Do you know of a spelling game or activity that is always good fun? Maybe it was one you used to love to play as a child? Or maybe you are a parent or teacher and play it with your own children or class? Or maybe it's a game that's perfect for adults rather than children, and can be used to spice up dinner parties? If so, please tell us about it!
Your spelling game should be:
- Non-commerical — This isn't the page for games like Scrabble and Balderdash that have to be purchased.
- Uncommon — The game or activity does not have to be totally original, but it can't be one like 'Hangman' or 'I Spy' that everybody already knows.
- Easy to organize — Putting together some basic resources is fine, but it shouldn't take a whole evening to prepare.
- Fun to play — The game should be entertaining and mustn't feel like a typical spelling quiz or boring drill.
Your description should include:
- A title for your game — Make it as catchy as possible.
- A brief overview of the game — Include the reasons that you really like it.
- The target group — For example, '5 to 8 year olds', 'adult dinner party', 'presentation ice-breaker', 'students of English as a 2nd language', 'ideal for car trips' etc.
- Resources needed to play the game — Preferably nothing too complicated, but paper, pens, cards, dictionaries, and so on are fine.
- The game duration — An estimate of how long the game usually takes to play.
- Step-by-step instructions — This is the most important one! It's crucial that your instructions don't lead to confusion about how to play the game.
Spelling Games by Other Visitors
Click below to see all the cool spelling games and activities submitted by other Word Buff visitors...
Alphabetical Storyteller Not rated yet
My very favorite word game that I love to share with people is called "alphabetical storyteller". It's a fun and challenging improv game, in which you …
Word Train Not rated yet
The object of this game is to increase vocabulary. It's a game that people of all ages can play anywhere -- there are no physical game pieces.
I love …
Around the World Not rated yet
If you are at home sit in a circle, if at school have students sit on their desks. Start at one point in the room. The teacher has a large stack of flash …
Wordini Not rated yet
Wordini can be highly addictive, is extremely social, and absolutely hilarious! Wordini is also flexible - great for parties, road trips, and suitable …
Wordgons Not rated yet
Wordgons is an interesting word game in which there is a polygon that contains different letters and words must be made from those letters.
Each letter …
Spamboozled by Boonerisms Not rated yet
Although I have never been diagnosed with dyslexia, I often wonder if I have a mild case of it because I tend to accidentally mix up sounds from one word …
Build a Word Not rated yet
I love this game because it can be used to entertain and teach simultaneously. The game can also be played by any age group, even a mix of ages and learning …
Word Link Not rated yet
Word Link is a fun activity to improve spelling and vocabulary. This game can be played by 2 or more players. It is mostly suitable for teenagers and adults, …
Click here to write your own.
Return to Word Games Home from Spelling Games & Activities